TrackStudio very slow

Discuss problems installing or using TrackStudio.

TrackStudio very slow

Postby Simon H » Thu May 31, 2012 11:27 am

Recently our TrackStudio has been getting slower and slower to the point that it is almost unusable. Browsing tasks is fine. The problem is when posting changes.

When we post messages through the SOAP server we often get "The handle is in the wrong state for the requested operation" message which indicates a timeout.

When we post a change through the web interface we often get a similar result. The post itself has usually happened, although when a new task is created it is sometimes two identical tasks are created.

I monitored the server whilst creating a new task.
- The operation took 1min 40s seconds before timing out ("Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.").
- JettyService.exe was taking typically 18% processor time, with no other application taking significant time
- Hard disk access varied between 5 and 11 MB/s (It seems that disk access was the limiting process)
- Memory usage was constant at about 4.7GB

The server spec is
- Windows Server 2007, 64 bit
- 8GB RAM
- 3.6GB Dual Core processor
- SQL Server Express 2008 R2
- 3/4 of hard disk is empty
- The database contains about 3,000 tasks and 20,000 messages.

Help, please!
Simon H

Re: TrackStudio very slow

Postby admin » Thu May 31, 2012 2:51 pm

Hello!

A few questions ?
1) Which TrackStudio version do you use ?
2) Can you send me (maximkr@gmail.com) anonymous database backup + how to replicate the problem (most slow queries)

Your db looks very small for this server, so I hope we can understand what happend and fix.
Maxim Kramarenko (mailto: maximkr@trackstudio.com)
TrackStudio - Hierarchical Bug & Issue Tracking Software
http://www.trackstudio.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby Simon H » Thu May 31, 2012 3:47 pm

TS version 4.0.10.2
To replicate create a new task or post any message to an existing task.
Database on its way by e-mail soon.
Simon H

Postby Petr » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Hello. I checked your issue and can say that I don't see any trouble with a speed.
Well. Can you try to another case.
1. turn email notifications off. then check it again.
2. Can you provide us more details about how to repeat this problem. because I did it with root user and made very simple actions.

Yours faithfully.
Стань Java программистом с www.job4j.ru
Petr

Postby Simon H » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi Maxim,
Can you make sense of this?

1. E-mail notifications from TS have been working fine. I received 2 today before starting these tests.
2. Tried root login. 1 min 40s to create a task. Same as other logins.
3. Disabled e-mail notification. TrackStudio works fast.
4. Try to re-enable e-mail notification but get error. Using TS Server manager test e-mail gives authentication error
6. Change to a different e-mail account. Re-enable e-mail notification. TrackStudio works fast :)
7. Old e-mail will not work. Change password. Try using Outlook on a desktop computer. Still will not work. Webmail does work.

It seems there is a problem with the e-mail account. Some questions.
1. If the e-mail account was broken how come e-mails were being sent using it?
2. Why should a broken e-mail account slow down TS so much and generate large amounts of disk activity?
3. Why should a broken e-mail account affect TS at all for operations which do not actually send an e-mail (In our configuration creating a task does not send any e-mails)?

Thanks for you help
Simon
Simon H

Postby Petr » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:51 pm

I checked again with profile tools this issue. I turn email notifications on and created, edited and added a new task and messages.
I did not see slow works. TS works fast.
Can you tell what you meant about "Try to re-enable e-mail notification but get error. ", What kind of error do you get? Can you show logs?

About your questions.
1. if you configured TS directly to your email server. TS will just skip untreated emails. if you use JES server It will try to send email to receiver until it gets success.
2. 3. We need to get logs about your error. Actually When TS sends emails it uses separated threads and it should not affect to TS.
Стань Java программистом с www.job4j.ru
Petr

Return to TrackStudio Support