task links with recursive copy

Discuss problems installing or using TrackStudio.

task links with recursive copy

Postby TimPigden » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:49 am

I have multiple projects which all follow the same basic pattern.
I'd like to set up a fairly well populated template project with quite a few task lists and tasks.
My structure is not entirely hierarchical so I'm using custom task link fields as part of the supporting structure.

But recursive copy links back to the template project and does not update the links in my pasted project, even though I've included both sides of the link in the copy operation.

So
task A has custom field pointing to task B
task B has backpointer to A

When I copy project
task A' points to B
task B now back-points to A and A'
task B' has no backlink

What I'd like is task A' pointing to B' and
task B' backlinked to A'

Is that a reasonable request? Any chance you do something about it at some point (it's not urgent).
TimPigden

Re: task links with recursive copy

Postby admin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:59 pm

Yes, we don't modify links when copy task, just copy tasks.

BTW, why do you need project template ? Is it possible to hold all configuration in the top-level project and just create subprojects ?

Other solution - when you create project create all subtasks and fill them using trigger (not template) - it's more complex to implement way, but more flexible and simpler for use.
Maxim Kramarenko (mailto: maximkr@trackstudio.com)
TrackStudio - Hierarchical Bug & Issue Tracking Software
http://www.trackstudio.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby TimPigden » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Template is for predefined setup of project structure - folders and even content. Not for types - they are at top level.

We have software that we tailor per client. The process involved is similar but with subtle differences each time. So a lot of the tasks are the same as last time. These can include acceptance criteria and all sorts of other items like that. Template makes it much quicker, we just copy the project and delete all the stuff we don't need, change those that need changing and add extras. I think it should work very well.

I'm not too concerned about this issue - it would rate very low on list of priorities.
TimPigden

Postby admin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Yes, this can be ok with special category for each project type and script, which create/configure subtasks.
Maxim Kramarenko (mailto: maximkr@trackstudio.com)
TrackStudio - Hierarchical Bug & Issue Tracking Software
http://www.trackstudio.com
admin
Site Admin

Return to TrackStudio Support