Tasks for today

Discuss problems installing or using TrackStudio.

Tasks for today

Postby TimPigden » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:29 pm

our support staff will meet each day at beginning of day and decide what tasks they will do. This list keeps changing as they get interrupted by customer support requests, new urgent tasks get added and so on.
We currently keep a wall where we put the high priority tasks as cards and move them to the "today" column in our morning scrum-style meeting.

What's the best way to support this in TrackStudio?

I don't want to have to change individual tasks to give them a "today" priority. Ideally I want to be able to make a collection of tasks that is external to the tasks themselves - so if a task is promoted to "today" and then demoted again tomorrow as something else takes precedence, I don't want to have to keep editing the record.

Is there some way to construct a list of tasks that is fast and doesn't involve adding a not or editing a field on each one?
TimPigden

Re: Tasks for today

Postby admin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:21 pm

The simplest way - create special folder for "today" tasks and cut/paste tasks there every day.
Maxim Kramarenko (mailto: maximkr@trackstudio.com)
TrackStudio - Hierarchical Bug & Issue Tracking Software
http://www.trackstudio.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby TimPigden » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:06 pm

yes but that's not a great solution because it gets messy if they want to add a note or something.
What you really need is something like symbolic links
TimPigden

Postby admin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:33 pm

TimPigden wrote:yes but that's not a great solution because it gets messy if they want to add a note or something.
What you really need is something like symbolic links

Hmm, why problems with note ? Just note task, as usual - you don't lost comments when you move tasks.

We have no symlinks and it's difficult to implement it now. You can create another task and add links to other tasks in description using syntax like
#12, #13
Maxim Kramarenko (mailto: maximkr@trackstudio.com)
TrackStudio - Hierarchical Bug & Issue Tracking Software
http://www.trackstudio.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby TimPigden » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:37 pm

problem with note is task is a copy. So note is added to copy. But my cumulative time is reported on original if this is a subtask. So adding time to note is lost.

Also someone else may change original.
User may change original (gets confused). Does he copy back afterwards?
If move instead of copy has to re-insert into hierarchy - which is time-consuming and error prone.

No, in absence of symbolic link or some such structure it probably makes more sense to organise tasks for today independently of application. I guess we can create urls to them and manipulate them entirely in external app. It's not great but at least it doesn't compromise data integrity.
TimPigden

Return to TrackStudio Support